On Sep 26, 2:19 pm, Steven <macintosh.awes...@gmail.com> wrote:
> While that is true, and USB has a higher peak speed (480mbps vs 400mbps for
> FireWire 400), FireWire sustains much higher speeds than USB 2.0, which
> varies, so it is better for video editing and other speed and large storage
> related tasks (like, I presume, Blu-Ray). I only buy FireWire hard drives
> even though I could probably get along fine without it, because I just prefer
> FireWire and I occasionally work with Final Cut. Although that is getting
> harder to do as even Apple is trying to move away from FireWire 400 and Macs
> are basically the only computers that use FireWire hard drives.

Well, that was a very specific piece of advice. I personally favor
Firewire for all the abovementioned reasons, and when the first
generation metal Macbook came out I went for an older white MB instead
because no FW transfer speeds and no target disk mode was a
dealbreaker for me. (FW800 rocks, by the way.) However, for a regular
DVD player or DVD writer, USB 2.0 is simply good enough.