Topic: iMac G5 startup problem

snip

JC wrote:
 Hi,
One of my friend with the iMac above is having lots of trouble to start
 his machine first time in the morning.
 It seems that unplugging from the wall and plugging back, then pushing
 the start button in the back many times is the only way to go. This is
 a haphazard process meaning that it can start after a few tries or
 after many.
Once it has start in the morning, restarting for the rest of the day is
 OK.

snip

Jim Scott <jesco...@gmail.com> Nov 05 05:09PM -0700 ^

 On Nov 5, 2010, at 4:56 PM, Jean-Claude Touzin wrote:

 > JC
> PS On my suggestion, the iMac has been cleaned up with ONYX, because it was slow has molasse. It is now OK. > Also I make him try the Command-Option-P-R incantation to no avail. If you need more info just ask. But pardon my FrenchGlish.

The startup problem sounds very much as if it's caused by a dying/dead CR2032 clock battery which either is not keeping parameter items in memory, or is corrupting PRAM. Replace the current battery with a new one and I'll bet the startup problems go away. The clue is that once the iMac starts successfully "restarting for the rest of the day is OK" because the PRAM is maintained by house electricity. Finally, if your friend is unplugging his iMac or otherwise disconnecting it from the electrical outlet over night, the iMac then looks to the battery to maintain PRAM, which it apparently cannot do.

 HTH,

 Jim Scott

My friend is not unplugging for the night, just unplugging then plugging back, which seems to help.
Sometimes can this not be a symptom of a capacitor problem?
So far every dying PRAM batt. problem that I have met has manifested itself by date corruption. Am I OK to assume that? He said he has not had to reset the date or any other parameters as of late. Anyhow is this batt. hard to replace, as I have never open this kind of iMac?

Mystic Prowler <coolmar...@gmail.com> Nov 05 08:03PM -0400 ^

 I think that it could be a bad logic board or Power Supply.

Brrrr.  Not funny.
Is there a way to know if it is the logic board or the power supply?
Again in my limited experience, power supply seem to make some sounds when dying, is this always true?
When it finally start, his iMac does not do any special sound.
Thanks to everyone of you for your help,
JC