I have done it this way from an Intel Macbook to a G4 iMac (using an
intermediary disk) - it worked fine, and they are completely different
architectures. It suggests an OSX install installs all the OS code for
all supported hardware, but other than my experience with the above, I
have no actual proof that is the case.

On 30 November 2010 13:33, Tina K. <penguir...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2010/11/30 04:34, misterbleepy so eloquently wrote:
>>
>> Another way I have used is to put the low spec machine in target disk
>> mode, then attaching it to a Mac that is in spec, and installing it
>> using that Mac, but putting the install on the external disk (i.e. the
>> disk of the Mac in target disk mode).
>
> If you were to do this between a notebook and desktop, or between a G4 and
> G5, would you get a proper install or would it do an install for the source
> Mac leaving some details (track pad, 64 bit, etc…) out?
>
> Tina
>
> --
>
> iMac 20" USB 2 1.25GHz G4 2GB RAM GeForce FX 5200 Ultra 64MB DDR
> Gnome/Ubuntu 10.10
>
> Power Mac June 04 2GHz G5DP 8GB RAM GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL 256MB Leopard
> 10.5.8
>
> PowerBook G4 15" HiRes DLSD 1.67GHz G4 2GB RAM Radeon 9700 128MB DDR Leopard
> 10.5.8

bleep - bleep - bleep