I understand what you mean, but in my case I was referring to things like
PowerBook specific code being left out of the iMac disk (just a hypothetical
example), and so on. Apple didn't remove PowerPC code until Snow Leopard, even
from Intel builds, which is why installing Snow Leopard opens up a couple
gigabytes of free space. Also, I was just saying that misterbleepy's logic was
reasonable. I don't know any details about the various machine-specific disks
other than the fact that certain disks will refuse to install on machines other
than the ones they were designed for.

Steven