I dual boot my G3's with OS X & Debian ('Mint PPC' version - see
http://www.mintppc.org/about ).

I can't see the page you have linked to but Clark Martins advice is
good.

I have never been able to use the Ubuntu Live CD's on my original '98
bondi blue G3 but it does work on my '99 'DV' vesion. Is it the live
CD you are using?  If so I think you will need to opt for an alternate
install cd instead. If you can partition part of the 53GB for the
linux install and for Linux SWAP before you start (e.g from OS X) that
will be easiest, as partitioning during an install is not easy without
a live cd.

Best

Conal