On Apr 15, 2011, at 1:10 PM, Amanda Ward wrote:

> Okay... I'm not real sure if this is the proper forum. Please redirect me if
> needed.
>
> Right about the time I updated my iMac (Intel/Late 2008) to 10.6.7, my
> printers started refusing to print PDF files. Three printers... HP Office-jet
> 4580, HP Desk-jet 6980 and my workhorse HP Laser-jet 4000.
>
> I can print the files by opening in Acrobat, saving as a JPG file, reopening
> in Preview and printing from there. But this solution is pretty much on the
> =lame= side.
>
> All three give me this message:
>
> "Error: pstopdffilter/pstocupsraster failed with err number 13" I googled
> this and got, basically... "What?"
>
> Previously, all three printed PDF's flawlessly. Did something change with
> 10.6.7? Did I manage to hose something? Any suggestions... please!?

Are these PDF's created by OS X or PDF's created by Acrobat? Try Printing them
from Acrobat reader, clicking the 'Advanced' button and checking the box 'Print
as Image'.

We've had a bunch of problems with newer Adobe-created PDF's doing this kind of
crap on both PC's and Macs.

If you try to print from Print Preview do you get the error? If so, then it's a
printing issue in OS X. Try logging in as a different user and printing a PDF;
if that user has the problme, then it's a system issue, and re-applying the
latest combvo update will fix it.

If that doesn't fix it and it's a systemic issue (all users have the problem)
delete and re-add your printers, making sure that you've got the
latest&greatest drivers; Apple's put out some printing updates recently that I
don't think are in the combo system update.

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona