On Jan 23, 2012, at 1:07 PM, Dan wrote:

Cap'n Bob McBurney wrote:
What I want to do is have a reliable and stable updater for 3rd party software that Apple Software does not update.

No such reliable beast.  (see below).

I want software that will fully "uninstall" software I no longer use.

No such reliable beast.

Debian GNU/Linux and and its derivatives (e.g. Ubuntu) have this feature. Apple is free to use dpkg and APT, but they opted not to on account of the GPL.

(ObQuibble: To support said uninstalls, the developer must hack into those apps to see what's what. Unless they have permission from the app's author, that's illegal!).

What do you mean by "hack into", and how is it illegal? Could I have been sued because I used ResEdit to hack into the Finder and modify the Trash icons and change "Empty Trash" to "Flush Toilet"? Is using the 'strings' program illegal?

Last I checked, reverse-engineering for the purpose of interoperability was fair use. I agree that no Mac application claiming to be a universal updater/uninstaller should be trusted, but its goal is certainly one of interoperability.

Authors don't get automatic dictatorial control over everyone who comes into contact with their works.

Josh

P.S.:  If you reply, consider changing the Subject field.