On Apr 20, 2012, at 11:25 AM, dect...@earthlink.net wrote:

> At one point, when the China trip was frustrating common sense, I was about
> to consider buying another one of the ancient 'ones', possibly a little newer
> but not so new as to lose the original mythic-quality.  Right..?  Actually
> not so expensive as some of the alternatives, and just transfer the drives,
> yucky.  But at least I'd possibly have a backup..
>
> How far 'forward' (upgrade-euphemism) could you go and still have a real mac,
> not a gates model, underlining the scoundrel behind the scene???

Well, bluntly, the only reason not to upgrade to any more modern model would be
the need for Classic support; if you insist on a PPC Mac a G5 model is the best
you can do; preferably an air-cooled one, which means a dual processor one.
Avoid G5-based iMacs. Geeks.com has some really low-priced G5's right now:

<http://www.geeks.com/products_sc.asp?cat=810>

Note on any of those you'll want to immediately upgrade the RAM,...there's one
there with 512 megs of RAM...which is pathetic for a G5 tower...

We just had a largely pointless argument over PPC versus Intel on another LEM
list, suffice it to say that my belief is that anything you run OS X on is a
"real Mac", regardless of who makes the guts. You will get a rather massive
improvement in performance along with modern system and app compatibility if
you were to move to an Intel-based Mac.

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona