On Mon, Jul 8, 2013 at 2:08 PM, William Spencer <wspen...@jhu.edu> wrote:
> Hi there: Today is my first day with my new employer, and there are things I
> have to do for them that require using Windows. Since I do not have a work
> computer yet I seem to be in the unhappy position of having to install
> Windows on the 1.83 iMac listed below. This is completely new territory for
> me, so could someone please direct me to a good source of information on
> what version of Windows I need to obtain, and basically everything I need to
> know about dealing with this unfortunate development. Basic, meaning cheap,
> is fine with me.

I'm not sure what kind of experiences the others have had, but
depending on what you need Windows for, you could use Bootcamp or
Parallels/Fusion. Bootcamp creates a separate partition for Windows,
and you can "boot" into it natively, just like you would on a PC or OS
X. Parallels or Fusion will allow you to start up Windows in a virtual
machine inside OS X, which is handy if you need to use applications
from both operating systems simultaneously, or would prefer to use
Windows only when you have to. While you can use a bootcamp partition
to run Parallels/Fusion, I would recommend that you not do so, as it
will be much slower with your hard drive thrashing between two
partitions. Using a virtual machine file is a much faster way to go,
and is also variable in size with the amount of virtualized storage
being used, so you're not locking away a good portion of your hard
drive like you would by making a separate partition.

I have done the Bootcamp route, and VMWare Fusion using both a
bootcamp partition, and a virtual machine file. I don't have any
experience with Parallels, so you'll have to find info on that from
others.

I don't think I would be spending a penny of my own money, if your job
requires you to do things with Windows; doesn't your organization have
an IT team? Light a fire under them!

--
[Greg Bennett]
-Independent Carpenter, Electrician & Lighting Designer

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "iMac
Group" group.
to imaclist+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.