Dan, all questions are valid, so let me try and expand:

- What *in particular* is slow? Everything. Trying to launch any
application is a long wait. Didn't use to be so. Opening another tab in
Safari, saving a document, opening a document, you name it

- What' all is running? Typical applications in use are: Word, Excel,
iTunes, Safari

- Have you tried clearing your browser and other user caches? Browser:
affirmative. What other caches do you have in mind?

- Have you tried running the three Apple-provided system maintenance
scripts? Please elaborate. I'm going to try AHT soon (once I locate the
10.6 DVD and have the time to scoot to where said iMac resides)

- Have you tried rebooting? Done daily

- Have you tried rebooting into Safe Mode (which clears a bunch of system
caches), then rebooting normally? Not yet. Will be done when I locate DVD,
scoot over - you get the idea

I'll be happy to learn about your thinking: I'm not an expert by any
stretch of the imagination but am not afraid to try reasonable things (as
pointed earlier). I've been using Macs for ages (starting with SE/System 5?
in the late 80s, then LC475, G5, MacBook, MacBook Air) and had a good run
with them: none failed catastrophically - usually I kept them long enough
till I could afford a newer version.

I realize that this iMac may possibly have a badly fragmented HD
(considering its age and usage) - could that be the issue in your opinion?
As it is an Intel-based iMac, it is whisper quiet compared to the G5 (I
never heard its fans roar like the G5 or sometime the MacBook).

Thanks, Naftali

On Mon, Nov 25, 2013 at 4:49 PM, Dan <dantear...@gmail.com> wrote:

> At 7:38 AM -0500 11/24/2013, N. Shani wrote:
>
>> - late 2006 17" [iMac]
>>
>> - OS is 10.6.8, with current updates
>> - stock HD 160 GB, ~1/2 full
>> - 2.5 GB RAM (stock was 2x 512 MB, so one 512 MB stick was exchanged with
>> 2 GB stick)
>>

>  what is causing the above to slow down.
>>

>  - monitoring active CPU processes doesn't show any process hogging the
>> CPU beyond a few % (not even M$-related, such as Excel or Word)
>>

> What *in particular* is slow?
>
> What'all is running?
>
> Have you tried clearing your browser and other user caches?
>
> Have you tried running the three Apple-provided system maintenance scripts?
>
> Have you tried rebooting?
>
> Have you tired rebooting into Safe Mode (which clears a bunch of system
> caches), then rebooting normally?
>

>  Thanks to anyone who can assist with ideas on how to speed this iMac,
>> which is otherwise running fine.
>>

> "otherwise"??????  At this point, we have only an incomplete report from
> you:  You haven't actually said what tasks are slow.  "My car is running
> slow" -- Can't tell if your car is slow because the driveway is knee deep
> in dead frogs, if you've left the garage door closed, or if you broke your
> foot so pushing on the gas pedal is a problem, or if you unbolted the
> engine and left it on the floor...
>
> Before you jump off the deep end with the disk maintenance described in
> the other thread forks,,, do the basics as described above and provide some
> detailed information.
>
> - Dan.
> --
> - Psychoceramic Emeritus; South Jersey, USA, Earth.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "iMac
Group" group.
to imaclist+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.