On Nov 26, 2013, at 11:47 AM, Dan <dantear...@gmail.com>
 wrote:

> or general *system* maintenance use OnyX, perhaps once a month or so, at
> most, to run the three system maintenance scripts (daily, weekly, monthly).
> And if your system is running slowly, use it to clear the kernel, system, and
> applications caches.  OnyX also lets you enable some nice "hidden" interface
> stuff.

Note that after 10.5-ish (When Apple went to launchd instead of cron to run
these things) Apple runs these scripts when it can after their 'run time' has
passed, like the next time they come up, etc; it's not necessary to leave it on
all night.

I would mention that my first stop when something is going wrong is to look at
the system log via console.app, in fact, it's a good idea to look at it on a
regular basis, just to get a feel for what is normally showing up there.

What you want to keep an eye out is what's happening when the system starts
acting slowly. Also anything marked IO Error should be investigated, since this
is where things like USB device and Disk failure start showing up.

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "iMac
Group" group.
to imaclist+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.