Il giorno 26/11/13 00.54, "N. Shani" ha scritto:

> - Have you tried clearing your browser and other user caches? Browser:
> affirmative. What other caches do you have in mind?
The System's caches.
You can try with Onyx, a System maintenance tool (free):
http://www.titanium.free.fr/
(use the Cleaning and/or Automation tab)

With it you can do a lot of maintenance the easy way, without Terminal.

> - Have you tried running the three Apple-provided system maintenance
> scripts? Please elaborate.
You can use Onyx here as well.
(use the Automation tab)

> - Have you tried rebooting into Safe Mode (which clears a bunch of system
> caches), then rebooting normally? Not yet. Will be done when I locate DVD,
You don't need any DVD. See this info:
http://macs.about.com/od/usingyourmac/qt/Safe-Boot.htm

> I realize that this iMac may possibly have a badly fragmented HD
> (considering its age and usage) - could that be the issue in your opinion?
I don't think that could be the issue (also because OSX does some kind of
defragmenting itself).  Besides, it would slow down mostly app startup and
disk access, not normal operations.

If the issue it's disk-related, more likely could be a failing or damaged
disk problem.
If you had not already done so, make a BACKUP ASAP.
Just in case. :-)

Something else that could fix several issues (and clean the caches too), is
Applejack:
http://applejack.sourceforge.net/
https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/15667/applejack

Its usage is a tiny bit tricky: after installing it, you have to boot in
Single User mode (hold Cmd+s at startup), and when at the prompt you type
"Applejack" (or "Applejack auto restart" to let it do everything by itself).
But I highly recommend it; it's my first step when something looks odd, or
for periodical maintenance.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "iMac
Group" group.
to imaclist+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.