mAC3dec is not just a 'Classic' application. Version 1.6.3 runs on Mac OS 8.6-9.2.2 and OS X, but, as I have now discovered, only up to 10.5.8. There seems never to have been an Intel version. Sorry, I should have checked more closely before posting.

Extracting audio-only from DVD audio <http://groups.google.com/group/imaclist/t/a4f5892e6759630a?utm_source=digest&utm_medium=email>
"Bruce Johnson" <john...@pharmacy.arizona.edu>: Oct 19 04:47PM

Google is your Big Brother Friend :-P
https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=fr&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fforum.macbidouille.com%2Findex.php%3Fshowtopic%3D204337%26hl%3DDVD%2BAudio&edit-text= <https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=fr&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fforum.macbidouille.com%2Findex.php%3Fshowtopic%3D204337%26hl%3DDVD%2BAudio&edit-text=><https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=fr&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http://forum.macbidouille.com/index.php?showtopic=204337&hl=DVD+Audio&edit-text= <https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=fr&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http://forum.macbidouille.com/index.php?showtopic=204337&hl=DVD+Audio&edit-text=>> It appears that the file may actually be a classic Mac application because the Sourceforge link goes to a .sit.hqx file 8-0 You may be able to extract it with ffmpeg http://www.savvyadmin.com/extract-ac3-dolby-digital-with-ffmpeg/ pre-compiled mac versions are available here http://www.ffmpegmac.net and there are a couple gui frontends: http://www.iffmpeg.com (looks like it may be commercial, or at least shareware) http://datura.sourceforge.net and https://www.ffmpegx.com both open source, and possibly this which appears to be some sort of AV super toolkit http://www.selur.de I do know I've used ffmpegx in the past to convert audio and video files from one to another. On Oct 18, 2017, at 4:42 PM, Bill Spencer <wspen...@jhu.edu<mailto:wspen...@jhu.edu>> wrote: Thank you for the link...but it seems to be in French, and thus not accessible to my mono-lingual brain. FYI the recording specifies 5.1 Dolby Digital AC-3 and DTS Surround Sound, and that it plays on all DVD-Audio and DVD-Video players. Am I out of luck? Thanks! Bill On Wednesday, October 18, 2017 at 3:59:51 AM UTC-4, Seth Jones wrote: DVD-Audio (aka DVD-A) is a high fidelity audio format that competed with SACD. Both are pretty much dead audio formats (have been for about 10 years now). DVD-A doesn't have video. It is audio only. It may be recorded at 24 bits per sample at a bit rate as high as 192 khz, though 96 is more common. DVD-A recordings may be in 5.1 surround. The only way to hear the full quality of this recording is to play with a DVD-A player. You can play these discs in a regular DVD player if they have a separate track that plays in the standard DTS 5.1 format that your movies have. This forum post may be helpful. http://forum.macbidouille.com/index.php?showtopic=204337&hl=DVD+Audio <http://forum.macbidouille.com/index.php?showtopic=204337&hl=DVD+Audio> On Oct 17, 2017 8:52 PM, "William Spencer" <wspen...@gmail.com<javascript:>> wrote: Hi there: I have a commercial recording of some music, which was issued as DVD-audio rather than CD-audio. There’s video material included, which I guess accounts for that. My question is this: I want to export the audio so that I can store it in iTunes, but I have no idea how to do so. (DVD Player is the app that launches automatically when I insert the disc.) Is there a reasonably simple way to do so? As always, my thanks in advance! *************** Bill Spencer in Maryland
Mac Mini 2.6 GHz i5/10.11.6
-- You received this message because you are a member of the iMac Group, a group for those using Apple iMacs and eMacs. The list FAQ is at http://lowendmac.com/imac/list.shtml and our netiquette guide is at http://www.lowendmac.com/lists/netiquette.shtml
To leave this group, send email to imaclist+u...@googlegroups.com<javascript:> For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/imaclist --- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "iMac Group" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to imaclist+u...@googlegroups.com<javascript:>.
-- You received this message because you are a member of the iMac Group, a group for those using Apple iMacs and eMacs. The list FAQ is at http://lowendmac.com/imac/list.shtml and our netiquette guide is at http://www.lowendmac.com/lists/netiquette.shtml To post to this group, send email to imaclist@googlegroups.com<mailto:imaclist@googlegroups.com> To leave this group, send email to imaclist+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com<mailto:imaclist+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com> For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/imaclist --- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "iMac Group" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to imaclist+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com<mailto:imaclist+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com>.
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona
College of Pharmacy
Information Technology Group
Seth Jones <sethamosjo...@gmail.com>: Oct 19 02:38PM -0500

Use Google translate. Basically try using VLC to access the high def audio
files. Playing it on a DVD video player won't output the full quality, but
you may not notice unless you have excellent hearing and very expensive
speakers.
On Oct 18, 2017 7:04 PM, "Bill Spencer" <wspen...@jhu.edu> wrote: Thank you for the link...but it seems to be in French, and thus not
accessible to my mono-lingual brain. FYI the recording specifies 5.1 Dolby
Digital AC-3 and DTS Surround Sound, and that it plays on all DVD-Audio and
DVD-Video players. Am I out of luck?
You received this message because you are a member of the iMac Group, a
group for those using Apple iMacs and eMacs.
group/imaclist
---
"iMac Group" group.
email to imaclist+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.

Back to top <#digest_top>
You received this digest because you're subscribed to updates for this group. You can change your settings on the group membership page < https://groups.google.com/forum/?utm_source=digest&utm_medium=email#!forum/imaclist/join >. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it send an email to imaclist+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com <mailto:imaclist+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com>.