I have done a lot of research into the Mac and its software. What I found
out was that unless you have the latest macOS installed, then when you try
to download apps from the Apple Appstore, you either can't download them or
can't run them. I found out about this using a Toshiba Satellite Hackintosh
with High Sierra installed. I even found out where the settings were that
said which version of macOS was required. I think this was in the plist
files. I changed these settings to match High Sierra, but these programs
still didn't run. From what I've heard, unless I was running the latest
macOS Big Sur, I heard about a job training course for designing a UI. It
said that I must own a Mac to do this and use particular software, but I
can't remember the name of this software at the moment. AFAIK, I was only
able to download XCode, and Keynote from the Apple App Store, because I'm
running macOS Big Sur. Even If I was running Catalina I may not have been
allowed to download this software. For older versions of macOS I've heard
that users have to pay Apple $99 per year to access the Developers' section
where they can download older versions of the software which will run on
their macOS version.

I really don't know what is the latest version of macOS which can be run on
a Mac from 2008. What kind of software do you run on it? Where do you get
this software from? I've heard of Macintosh Repository, Macintosh Garden,
and Oldversion.com, but none of these sites seem to have any software like
old versions of popular office and productivity software by Apple.

SInce posting my last message, I've watched some more videos about
upgrading Macs. One of them showed how to replace soldered RAM on a MacBook
Air from 2012, but my MacBook Air is from 2014. I assume the RAM is
similar. From what I saw, the chips look nothing like I've ever seen before
and the type of soldering is nothing like I've seen before either!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjFAr5nM4YU

I watched another video saying that the MacBooks from 2012 were the last
ones which Apple made easy to upgrade, but I the RAM wasn't soldered in on
that MacBook Pro.

So far, things are going OK with my 4Gb MacBook Air, except for the few
messages saying that memory is low, so I should close some apps. I've
achieved my original goal of owning a Mac which can run Logic Pro. This is
even a later version of Logic Pro than was used in the recording studio!
Apart from this, I have never owned a computer with more than 4Gb RAM
fitted. I've been uisng LInux OS for several years, but if I'd been using a
recent version of WIndows then I'd probably have been forced to upgrade.