Bruce Johnson, I thought I should tell you how things have moved on for me.

I never said I could afford anything like $649, or even $400! I'd never
even heard of Fleabay before, but I joined and found out that they had no
Macs near me. I assume this is because I'm not in the USA.

Next, I bought a cheap MacBook Pro 13" (mid 2012) with 8Gb and a 500Gb HDD
from eBay for less than the equivalent of $267. I was very happy with this,
but after about two weeks the screen started flickering like mad, as well
as blanking out and turning green! I don't think this had anything to do
with me installing "Patched Sur", because it didn't happen immediately
after that.

After this, I thought I should buy another, cheaper MacBook Pro 13" (mid
2012) and see what I could do with it. I bought one for just under the
equivalent of $151 also from eBay, which was showing the screen saying that
it couldn't find an operating system. After it was delivered, I soon had
Catalina installed on its 500Gb HDD. I quickly found out that this MBP (mid
2012) has only 4Gb of RAM, the very reason why I bought my second recent
Mac, although it's upgradedable! It seemed to work more slowly than the
other MBP.

Later on, I bought a Philips 00 screwdriver and removed the back of the MBP
with the faulty screen. I also have a new set of Torx screwdrivers. I had a
look round and checked that the Philips 00 screwdriver would also unscrew
the bracket holding the RAM in. I replaced the back of this MBP, but I lost
one screw and another one wouldn't go in! The next thing I knew, I found
that the screen was no longer giving me any problems!  This is still the
situation a few days later and I'm  typing this message on it!

I've made up a music track in Logic X Pro, and made a 1080p video on my
Nokia 2.3 phone and MBA. I've also made a 1080p video on my Nokia 2.3 phone
and my first MBP after the faulty screen problem disappeared. I'm now
planning to upgrade one of both of my MBP computers to 16Gb and an SSD.

I hear that some people can even upgrade the CPU on these 2012 MBP models
from i5 to i7, so I'm considering having that done, but I don't think I
could do it myself. Some people like to use the Davinci Resolve software,
but I'm not sure what it can do which iMovie can't. Does it do CGI or
what's so special about it? My ambition is to upgrade my MBP 2012 computers
to be more powerful than models from years later. My ultimate goal is to
create a clone of an Apple Silicon MacBook, using an iPad, a Raspberry Pi,
or a Banana Pi computer.

 --

Paul