From: R. Scott Perry [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: November 28, 2003 2:04 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: [IMail Forum] loads of mail in spool

>A new discovery. I have gone through the SMTP logs and there are many
>occurrances of invalid addresses.  The odd thing is that they all contain
>our domain, but here is the funny thing.  The usernames all appear to be
>either first names, last names concatinations of the two or misspelled
>usernames of people who exist on either our IMail server or our Exchange
>server.  Could there be a virus at work here or some kind of attack?  It
>all seems very weird.

That's called a dictionary attack, and is very, very common these days.  It
is used by spammers to find addresses on your domain to spam.

                                                    -Scott
---
Declude JunkMail: The advanced anti-spam solution for IMail mailservers.
Declude Virus: Catches known viruses and is the leader in mailserver
vulnerability detection.
Find out what you've been missing: Ask about our free 30-day evaluation.

---