Mark Crispin wrote:

> On Tue, 4 Oct 2005, Jean-Luc Wasmer wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to make imap work with pam_ldap... when I log in, I can
>> see the search for the user info being requested on the ldap server.
>> The server replies with one entry (which is correct). Unfortunately,
>> the imapd denies the login but I don't have much info.
>

> Have you defined PAM authentication rules for IMAP in /etc/pam.d/imap?

I thought I had... that' s why I said "I can see the search for the user info being requested on the ldap server" ie. /etc/pam.d/imap seems to be doing what it's supposed to.

> Is the user defined in /etc/passwd?

no but I have nss_ldap which works fine.

Doing a bit of testing, I realized the LDAP lookups were actually happening because of the nss_ldap not the pam_ldap so I disabled nss_ldap. I still can't log in with imap when I use either a LDAP-only user or a user which passwords is only in LDAP (but still has an entry in /etc/passwd). Therefore the problem must be with the /etc/pam.d/imap configuration file. Unfortunately, no matter what I put in it, it doesn't seem to be affecting imapd.
Do I need a special switch to enable PAM when I build the software?

Jean-Luc