I'm relatively knowledgeable about IMAP, but a newbie to UW IMAP
toolkit, so apologies in advance if this is a particularl obvious or
particularly dumb question...

I'm building an application that requires a large number of accounts
(thousands to tens of thousands), each account containing an INBOX with
a relatively small number of messages at any point in time (~6-10
messages per mailbox on average).  I really don't want to create a UNIX
user for each user in my application; that doesn't seem scalable to me.
Does the toolkit support any alternative model whereby I can create
accounts on the IMAP server with user/password authentication, without
the overhead of creating/managing a UNIX user account for each?