(apologies if duplicated; I'm not sure if it got there what with problems this end, or if I lost any reply - a recursive SPF query mailbombed my system with a 1Gb error message among other things ...)

So, I did the big switchover (move to new hardware, 2001 -> 2006 so far, MBX -> Mix later) and it's a mess, as might be predicted. My script to hold mail, disable logins, kill user processes and sync folders bombed because an (empty) /home/root directory made it
shoot itself in the foot, or maybe kneecap. Fixed that, finished
syncing at 9am in time for the phone calls to start...
- forgot LDAP, forgot mailman, forgot some hosts.allow settings, missed a
  procmail filter
- MAC addresses saved in client cache stopped them getting to the
  correct machine for a while
- old sendmail didn't authenticate, new one does and clients start
  sending usernames that won't work, get popups from Symantec A/V
  about encrypted email connections

Anyhow, on to the question. Seems we have some dinosaurs using POP3.
I did "make SSLTYPE=unix lrh", as we still have some people using IMAP with plain login, but ipop3d does not build with LOGIN auth and the dinosaurs can't log in. (I can login in Thunderbird with TLS, but one of the clients is an old VMS system that probably doesn't do that..)

I can't see much about POP in docs/SSLBUILD

# ipopd/ipop3d
+OK POP3 trmail.triumf.ca 2006a.94 server ready
auth
+OK Supported authentication mechanisms:
.
capa
+OK Capability list follows:
TOP
LOGIN-DELAY 180
UIDL
STLS
USER
.
quit
+OK Sayonara

# ipop3d
+OK POP3 trmail-old.triumf.ca v2001.80 server ready
auth
+OK Supported authentication mechanisms:
LOGIN
.
capa
+OK Capability list follows: