I will look at your sample data in the next few days.

I believe that the current imap-2006c development snapshot addresses this issue: first, by preventing the cause of the problem (there was a case in which a short fwrite() was not properly handled); and second, by remediating the problem if it occurs.

Although the affected message(s) will be truncated, imap-2006c will permit mailboxes with such messages to be burped. You'll get a warning (not an error) when the affected message(s) are accessed, but the errors that occur in imap-2006b (which are what distress clients such as Thunderbird) should be abolished in imap-2006c.

imap-2006c is still in development/test status. I do not recommend running it in production unless you are experiencing this issue. However, I do recommend that you test it, and report any regressions to me.

Finally, "mailutil copy" should produce a fixed destination mailbox, even in imap-2006b. So if just one mailbox experiences the problem, then try "mailutil copy" to a new name, then deleting the bad one and renaming the new one.

As I said, I will look at your sample data in the next few days to confirm myself that imap-2006c addresses these problems, but you can start trying imap-2006c yourself as well.

-- Mark --

http://panda.com/mrc