> I've got a couple mailboxes which I have found have gotten way too big.
> (mainly due to me not pruning them by-year)  They're unix-format
> mailboxes, and I'm basically looking to do the following:
>
> 1) Split them down into their component messages.
>
> 2) Recombine them into smaller files.

I'd use MH for this job. "inc" will do (1), and you can inc from an
arbitrary file with the -file argument. You can then take groups of
messages from the destination folder and put them in their own folder
with "refile" and a bit of shell programming. Furthermore, you can do
all sorts of fancy things to determine the groupings with "pick", "scan",
and the aforementioned shell programming.

Finally, you can turn each of these folders into a single file with
"packf".

> Short of this, is there another format that pine can work with that can
> handle the larger file sizes that I can convert to with Mailutil? (I would
> like to use pine as I'm used to those aggregate sorting functions)

Doesn't pine support everything c-client does? And since mailutil is
built on c-client...

Cheers,

        - Joel