On Tue, 13 Feb 2007, Joel Reicher wrote:

Short of this, is there another format that pine can work with that can
handle the larger file sizes that I can convert to with Mailutil? (I would
like to use pine as I'm used to those aggregate sorting functions)

Doesn't pine support everything c-client does? And since mailutil is
built on c-client...

But I don't know if c-client supports maildir out of the box.  I've seen
patches for it, but they seem kinda...sketchy.

Is there any particular need for maildir?

Other than that it would let me use pine's aggregate sorting, grouping, and saving functions to re-sort things after I'd have used the dozens of tools available to convert a unix mailbox to mailder (which mailutil won't do for the same reason I can't open the file in pine)....

No.

A previous poster suggested MH, and as I read more about MH (and this is only a first glance, late at night (disclaimer posted!) I read about the fact that its formats are horribly non-standard with regard to the rest of the world.

I'm slowly investigating the use of alternative (non-mbox) file formats
system-wide, but support for them is sketchy unless I want to stay
"married" to c-client.  MBX seems to have issues with NFS.  Maildir is
just disgusting to me (other than as a reformatting tool in this case).
MIX, I hear good things about.

What does system-wide use have to do with your original request? I thought
you were only after a bit of one-off processing, and I would have
thought changing to MBX or MIX would be enough for you to do any of
the maintenance from pine that you say isn't possible with your
unix-format folder (assuming it is possible with these other formats).

Simply put: I'm becoming of the slow opinion that the unix format is archaic and should be beaten with a stick. If I find a method that's superior for me, it stands that it may also be superior for my userbase. However, this takes into consideration that I'd have to migrate EVERY procmail recipe that currently handles delivery.

(...why procmail can't have the same smarts as c-client and just auto-detect a mailbox format while delivering, grumble grumble. Why you can't just tell procmail to use dmail for al delivery tasks, grumble grumble...)

Perhaps I don't understand the situation correctly.

I can't find a real good primer on the
advantages/disadvantages/compatibilites of the various formats.  Anyone
know of one?

http://www.washington.edu/imap/documentation/

Look at formats.txt, mixfmt.txt, and perhaps drivers.txt

That's really quite useful.

Hrmmm, those first two really should be updated with the info in mixfmt.txt, just for the sake of comparison. Also, drivers.txt makes no mention of the differences between unix and mbox (if there are any). Is this intentional?

-Dan

--

"Be happy.  Try not to hurt each other.  Hope you fall in love."

--Mallory, Family Ties Finale (on the meaning of life)