On Tue, 13 Mar 2007, Joel Reicher wrote:
If I just configure sendmail to use tmail instead of mail.local (and
provide the flag for CRLF newlines) but do not specify any -I arg,
what happens?

It just works. No -I is equivalent to "-I INBOX" which is almost always the correct setting.

The only customisation I've made to my imap-uw build is
CREATEPROTO=mbxproto, and as I said earlier the server is snarfing from
standard UNIX maildrops to mbx ~/INBOXes.

With CREATEPROTO=mbxproto, tmail will create a ~/INBOX in mbx format if one does not exist.

It's not clear to me whether tmail will pay attention to the presence
and format of ~/INBOX, whether it can deliver to a UNIX format maildrop
if it has to, etc.

It does, and it does.

What's the best way to go about migrating?

Start by reviewing the information in
        http://www.washington.edu/imap/IMAP-FAQs/index.html#4.5
then ask further questions.

-- Mark --