On Tue, 13 Mar 2007, Joel Reicher wrote:
That's clear enough from the man page, but I still couldn't tell exactly
what -I INBOX means. :)

It means "deliver to the default INBOX."

CREATOPROTO=mbxproto makes the default INBOX be an mbx-format INBOX, which is ~/INBOX.

With CREATEPROTO=mbxproto, tmail will create a ~/INBOX in mbx format if
one does not exist.
Ah; that's new. imapd and ipop[23]d don't do this.

Correct.  Only tmail and dmail have the power to create INBOX.

My problem with the
man page is when it says
"If delivery is to INBOX and no INBOX  currently  exists, tmail  will
create a new INBOX, using the -I flag if specified."
I don't know whether INBOX refers to ~/INBOX, the sendmail maildrops
(in /var/mail in my case), or the either/or/snarf that the daemons do.

See above.  In your case, it's the first of the three.

So does this mean tmail completely ignores the maildrops in /var/mail?

With CREATEPROTO=mbxproto, yes.

That's probably the main question I need answered because I'll have
to stop sendmail, do snarfing for all users, and start it again in
that case.

If you don't do all that, the messages will still get snarfed, just perhaps a little bit out of order. It won't matter for users who use anything other than arrival sort order.

Anyway, mail gets delivered out of order all the time, so I don't think it's worth fretting about excessively.

On the other hand if tmail snarfs like the other c-client apps do...

tmail is not a mail reading program, and snarfing is function of reading mail.

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Si vis pacem, para bellum.