On Sep 19, Per Foreby wrote:

We do all filtering at our incoming mail server while the smtp connection still is active (using sendmail milters) and thus can return an error message to the connecting mailserver for a true bounce.

I do the same.

The milters used are milter-greylist, spamass-milter and clamav-milter in that order. Greylisting stops most of the junk mail, but enough get through to need a dedicated server to run spamassassin and clamav.

My only milter is clamav. I stop spam on a reputation basis: proper dns, a few good dnsbls, and homegrown regexes to identify dynamic/dialup hosts, in addition to what the dnsbls provide. No content filtering needed (except clamav), and it's very effective.

Tagging vs. rejecting (bouncing) junk mail in an interesting discussion.

My tagging vs. blocking is configurable per user. The default setting for a new user is TAG, so all mail (and spam) gets through. The (likely) spam is tagged with a header, and the user can do client side filtering with whatever tools they choose.

Personally, I don't want all that work. I set my own mail account to BLOCK, I get almost zero spam, and I lose very little useful mail (I read the logs, I'm the admin).