Thanks for your very prompt reply Mark!

If the problem is hardware then it is down to the 5 disks in the array, as we moved them from their former chassis to another one (same model/specs) when we thought the problem might be a bad mobo. Also, there's some additional information I forgot to include:

- we currently have no quotas (you read that right) on disk usage and despite warnings from I.T., many users' Inboxes had grown to between 400 and 600MB. Sent and Trash folders for several users > 1GB. Some users have as many as 300 imap folders, so while there are just 60 users, we're hitting the machine pretty hard (IMO).

- our tech support mail account is shared by about 15 people who may attach to it at one time.

Since the problem arose two weeks ago we have worked with staff to prune system folders down significantly and did think we saw improvement. Today however we experienced the same failure mode.

Thanks again.

-Jeff

Mark Crispin wrote:
For what it's worth, this problem sounds to me like some underlying system
failure and not anything in imapd.  A little system with a mere 60 users
should not get into this kind of trouble.

In addition to hardware issues, have you checked for other possibilities, such
as a denial of service attack?

-- Mark --

http://panda.com/mrc