<head down>...mostly mbox format. I know we've been pushing the outer limits of the system for some time now, but as a testament to the durability of the file system it has worked very well up until two weeks ago.Nevertheless, we'll be moving off this server within days.

-Jeff

Mark Crispin wrote:
- we currently have no quotas (you read that right) on disk usage and
despite warnings from I.T., many users' Inboxes had grown to between 400
and 600MB. Sent and Trash folders for several users> 1GB. Some users
have as many as 300 imap folders, so while there are just 60 users,
we're hitting the machine pretty hard (IMO).
- our tech support mail account is shared by about 15 people who may
attach to it at one time.

I hope that you're using mbx format and not traditional UNIX mailbox format
(mbox format) especially as you have multiple access to the same mailbox.
Traditional UNIX format is a disaster with that type of size.  mbx format
starts to creek around that point as well, although the issues in mbx is more
with the number of messages than the raw mailbox size.

In imap-2007b, you will find mix format which should scale much better to
this type of mailbox.

Note that I no longer support UW IMAP; I'm just responding as a community
member.  I've forked Panda IMAP -- http://panda.com/imap/ -- and am
working on (among other things) a completely new IMAP server at
Messaging Architects.

-- Mark --