> Date: Wed, 5 May 2010 11:44:26 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Mark Crispin <mrc...@panda.com>
>
> Have you thought about making mh be an IMAP client?  You might need to
> have some sort of proxy daemon to keep state, since IIRC mh is actually a
> set of programs invoked from the shell.  I don't know if your other tools
> use the mh programs, or if they separately know about the mh layout.

i have indeed considered teaching the mh interface to use imap as a mail
store rather than using the file system.  if i add an API layer inside MH
then i'll certainly be thinking along those lines.  damnably, and as you
say, there'd have to be a lot of state to preserve the insanity of "message
numbers".  luckily all of my tools including mh-e just use the MH command
set, nothing makes any assumptions about the file system layout.

> With mh-e, you ought to be able to make it babble IMAP protocol and keep
> your interface.

well, sure, but mh-e is only a small part of my mail UI.  and besides which
there are better emacs modules for speaking IMAP, if i just wanted that.

> > i may try to add MH support to Dovecot so that i won't have to maintain
> > a fork of the uw-imap abandonware nor use a non-open codebase (Panda).
>
> Another alternative is to join the re-alpine project on sourceforge.  UW
> IMAP is part of re-alpine, so technically there already is an open
> codebase fork.  I don't think that the re-alpine people have done much, if
> anything, in the IMAP part; so they would welcome your contributions.

i had no idea.  thanks.

> I haven't decided about opening Panda IMAP.  The issue is, as it always
> has been, funding to support any work other than my own personal use.
> There's only one task remaining that I personally need in Panda IMAP;
> anything else that I do is at someone else's request.

i regret that i am not part of an empire who can afford to hire you just to
work on open source software.  brian reid of DEC WRL deserves huge thanks
for hiring me and then letting me work on BIND after UCB abandoned it.  we
need more empires in which people like yourself can hide while making stuff.