> Date: Wed, 5 May 2010 14:49:56 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Mark Crispin <mrc...@panda.com>

> > damnably, and as you say, there'd have to be a lot of state to preserve
> > the insanity of "message numbers".
>
> IMAP is a stateful protocol.  There is nothing insane about message
> numbers in a stateful message access protocol; this is the entire
> mechanism upon which state revolves.

i must have spoken improperly.  if i say "scan" and learn thereby about
messages 1,3,5,20 and then one month later after every computer has been
power cycled four times i say "show 5" i want the same message.  this is
insane but i want it anyway.  imap's statefulness isn't nearly persistent
enough for me.  a "show" command that used MH as a mail store would have
to have the same behaviour, but it can be local to the MH host rather
than relying on IMAP extensions.  (so, some other MH-over-IMAP client
could see different message numbers for the same underlying messages.)