On Thu, May 06, 2010 at 11:46:20AM -0700, Mark Crispin wrote:
> On Thu, 6 May 2010, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> >I think that's a different issue. They're unhappy when an idling device
> >gets woken up (constantly). The "Hang in there" messages are sent only
> >when client has requested some command that takes >15 seconds. Most of
> >the users/clients never see those messages at all.
>
> You're right.  It isn't quite the same, and mobile devices are less likely
> to run afoul of server head-pats every 15 seconds during long-running
> commands.

15 seconds are possibly too aggressive anyway. hardly any timeout is set
below a minute, two minutes being typical for many things. dunno about
TB's settings in particular.
the "clean workaround" would include an imap extension which would let
the client decide how often it wants to see keepalives.
a mobile provider may also provide an imap proxy for their clients, so
the over-the-air connection could be optimized for somewhat more defined
QoS characteristics. though that may be in direct conflict with the
provider's interests.

> On mobile devices where you pay per packet (rather than per KB or MB),

that depends on the provider. mobile data flatrates are also becoming
common nowadays.