On May 6 2010, Mark Crispin wrote:

On Fri, 7 May 2010, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
loss of the state we are talking about here. it's all based on mark's
postulation that a tcp connection is reliable.

TCP connections are reliable.  Run, don't walk, to your nearest technical
bookstore and read about network layering.

TCP connections are more reliable than UDP; that does not mean they are "reliable", full stop.

I agree that most ugly, stupid software too quickly resorts to dumping a connection. But it sounds like you're just arguing the other, equally wrong, extreme. Software that doesn't take into account that TCP connections often do either fail completely or stall for so long as to constitute a failure to, you know, a normal person who's trying to get something done interactively, is just wrong. Patience is usually but not always a virtue.

-Brian