From: Mark Crispin [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, September 24, 2002 1:55 PM
To: Larry Osterman
Cc: Simon Josefsson; Pete Maclean; IMAP Interest List
Subject: RE: possible draft 19 changes for sequence

On Tue, 24 Sep 2002, Larry Osterman wrote:
> But what about this scenario:
> C: 1 NOOP
> S: * 5 EXISTS
> S: 1 OK NOOP Completed
> Client 2 now deletes all the messages in the mailbox.  At this point,
> the client thinks that there are 5 items in the mailbox while the
> server knows that there are none.
>
> C: 2 FETCH *
> S: * 1 EXPUNGE
> S: * 1 EXPUNGE
> S: * 1 EXPUNGE
> S: * 1 EXPUNGE
> S: * 1 EXPUNGE
> S: 2 BAD Sequence Number * is illegal on an empty folder

This scenario is specifically forbidden in RFC 2060 section 7.4.1.

RFC 2180 section 4.1 discusses what should be done.

In believe that the best strategies are 4.1.1 and 4.1.4.  Users show a
definite preference for 4.1.1.

Failing that, 4.1.3 is far preferable to 4.1.2.  4.1.3 causes some
temporary user interface confusion but it usually resolves itself
quickly in a compliant client.  4.1.2, on the other hand, definitely
confuses clients.

In UW imapd, the behavior depends upon the underlying mail store and its
mailbox format.  The preferred mbx format has 4.1.1 behavior.  Most
other formats have 4.1.4 behavior, but a few legacy formats have 4.1.3
behavior.

I have gotten *very* accustomed to the 4.1.1 behavior, and would never
again willingly use a server which any other behavior.

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc