From: Rick Block [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, January 27, 2003 7:06 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: speaking of storing flags

I'm working on a server that cannot make a message unseen
once it's been marked seen.  I've tried returning untagged fetch
message 1 is already seen):

        c: xyzzy store 1 -flags (\seen)
        s: * 1 fetch (flags (\seen))
        s: xyzzy OK

but the clients I've tried (Outlook Express 5 and a fairly
old version of Netscape Communicator) seem to completely
ignore the untagged response (the message starts out looking seen in the
client, after marking the message unseen via their user interface even
with the untagged fetch response the message is displayed as unseen).
I've tried a NO response; this is treated as a protocol error by these
clients.

Anyone have any ideas how to better handle this situation? Would you
consider these clients broken?

Thanks,
Rick Block
Avaya Inc.