Timo Sirainen wrote:
On Tue, 2003-01-28 at 09:22, Mark Crispin wrote:

On Mon, 28 Jan 2003, Timo Sirainen wrote:

Multiple
connections eat more memory and more network resources.

How did you arrive at this conclusion?  I suggest that you have fallen
prey to an urban myth.  Like most myths, there is a vestige of historical
truth; in the NCP protocol used prior to 1983, network connections did
consume costly resources.  This was one of the things that TCP fixed.

With stateful firewalls or NATs each connection would require at least
some memory and CPU. I didn't mean they'd necessarily cost much, but
they're not free either.
This is not where we see the biggest problems.  We have much bigger problems with wrongly written Webmails and other Wireless servers of all sorts without speaking about stupidly written Unified Messaging aggregators. Most of the problems we see are at layer 7 not lower. Lower it is usually just a sizing question in the architecture. I don't want to say that there are no problems but the layer 7 ones are much more painful.

A++