Timo Sirainen writes:
On Thu, 2003-04-03 at 05:55, Mark Keasling wrote:
This behavior will cause more harm than good.

In what way? It affects only broken clients.

De facto it extends the protocol in weird and magic ways. The next client author doing i14y testing against your server (and against other servers that work around OE bugs) will not discover his/her client's bug.

 It would be better to send the EXISTS and RECENT updates just before
 sending the FETCH response.

Except we're only trying to work around OE bug. And like I said, sending EXISTS and RECENT before the FETCH triggers another OE bug.

What happens if you send EXISTS and RECENT after the FETCH? (Still illegal, of course.)

If client clearly asks for it by violating protocol itself, why not? Maybe I should make this workaround configurable anyway.

Yes, please. Don't let IMAP slide into fuzziness.

--Arnt