On 10 Jul 2003, Timo Sirainen wrote:
>On Thu, 2003-07-10 at 00:34, Larry Osterman wrote:
>> There is clearly something wrong with a client specifying an invalid
>> message sequence number in a fetch (since the client knows at all times
>> the number of messages in a mailbox), but that does not necessarily hold
>> true for search (although the reason for this currently escapes me).
>I think if client requests a too large sequence number anywhere, it's
>most likely a client bug and it's better to show it so it can be fixed.

What if a client has not done any IDLE or NOOP or anything in 28 minutes,
and in that time 100 messages have arrived and been expunged without the
client getting any notice (perfectly good imap), and our client then
searches for all messages from 1000:1050 that contain the word "foo" in
the body.

Is there anything in the client's behavior that deserves a BAD response?

I'd have to say that the logical response from SEARCH is that the empty
set of messages, since no message actually matched the criteria.

Andy

--
Andreas Aardal Hanssen
http://www.bincimap.org/