On Mon, 15 Sep 2003, Mark Crispin wrote:

> On a server which has such a thing as a \NoSelect mailbox with no
> children, it becomes very important to respond to foo/% with foo/ since
> otherwise there is no distinction from the error case of foo no existing.

Ok, now I atleast partly understand.  It was this sweeping statement that
seemed to include all servers (not just ones that do not support dual
use mailboxes) that concerned me:

  In the case where foo has children (which was Timo's question), that
  makes sense.  But what if foo does not have children?

  If the server doesn't list "foo/" in that case, then it's saying that
  the hierarchical name foo doesn't exist.
<<

> The inclusion of foo/ in the case where children exists is for consistency
> rather than client necessity.  Since Cyrus does not have the no-children
> case, it does not have this need for consistency, so it isn't surprising
> that Cyrus behaves the way it does.

While I think its somewhat bizarre to report a leaf mailbox that is
\NoSelect and doesn't have any children, I can atleast appreciate why this
is necessary in some environments.  However, as you say, such a case does
not apply to all servers (and since Timo's original question was about a
dual-use mailbox your statement seemed much broader than I guess you
intended).

-Rob

Rob Siemborski | Andrew Systems Group * Research Systems Programmer
PGP:0x5CE32FCC | Cyert Hall 207 * [EMAIL PROTECTED] * 412.268.7456