On Thu, 4 Dec 2003, Richard Bang wrote:
> I have a question regarding PERMANTFLAGS that I cant resolve from the
> RFC (or I just couldn't find it).
> Should the PF response include any flags that have been defined by the
> client.

Yes.  If you offer \* as one of the PERMANENTFLAGS, that means that you
offer the facility of allowing the client to create keywords (flags which
do not begin with "\").  Any such created keywords must appear in a
subsequent SELECT in the FLAGS and PERMANENTFLAGS responses.

This is per-mailbox.  Typically, each mailbox has a metadata area in which
such things as UIDVALIDITY, UIDNEXT, and list of created keywords are
maintained.

If you do not wish to offer this facility, then do not include \* in the
PERMANENTFLAGS.

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Si vis pacem, para bellum.