Please confirm my understanding here.  In a text/plain message,
BODY[TEXT] and BODY[1.TEXT] refer to the same data (the message body),
and BODY[] and BODY[1] refer to the same data (the full message,
header and body).  But in a multipart/* message which contains a
message/rfc822 part as its only part, BODY[TEXT] refers to the body of
the outer multipart message - which is to say, the header and body of
the inner message/rfc822 part together with the surrounding MIME
boundaries and extra header - while BODY[1] refers to the encapsulated
message/rfc822 part *without* the surrounding MIME boundaries or extra
header, and BODY[1.TEXT] refers to only the body of the inner
message/rfc822 part.  Right?

Given a message with the following MIME structure, are these part
specifier comments correct?

; beginning of []
; beginning of [HEADER]

; end of [HEADER]
; beginning of [TEXT]
--a
; beginning of [1.MIME]

; end of [1.MIME]
; beginning of [1]
--b
; beginning of [1.1.MIME]

; end of [1.1.MIME]
; beginning of [1.1]
lorem ipsum
; end of [1.1]
--b--
; end of [1]
--a
; beginning of [2.MIME]

; end of [2.MIME]
; beginning of [2]
; beginning of [2.HEADER]

; end of [2.HEADER]
; beginning of [2.TEXT]
--c
; beginning of [2.1.MIME]

; end of [2.1.MIME]
; beginning of [2.1]
lorem ipsum
; end of [2.1]
--c--
; end of [2.TEXT]
; end of [2]
--a
; beginning of [3.MIME]

; end of [3.MIME]
; beginning of [3]
; beginning of [3.HEADER]

; end of [3.HEADER]
; beginning of [3.TEXT]

; no IMAP-specifiable part begins or ends here
--d
; beginning of [3.1.MIME]

; end of [3.1.MIME]
; beginning of [3.1]
lorem ipsum
; end of [3.1]
--d--
; end of [3.TEXT]
; end of [3]
--a--
; end of [TEXT]
; end of []

[3.TEXT], the body of a message/rfc822 part (contained within another
message/rfc822 part), consists of a header and body, but IMAP provides
no way to specify the header or body individually.  With nested
message/rfc822 parts, no extra specifier number is added, so we are
only able to refer to the HEADER and TEXT of the outermost one.  Only
when a message/rfc822 part contains a multipart entity is an extra
specifier number added, to refer to the parts contained in the
multipart entity.  Right?

paul