> >>For that volume, I always recommend running IMGate alone as MX, and moving
>content-scanning (aggressive header/body checks, AV) to an intermediate
>box, and then finally the mailbox server.
> >>

>That's my setup the virus box is a dual pentium III

not much of a CPU for 250K msgs. What are memory and disk(s) on that box?

> >>You could probably tighten up your envelope rejection significantly to
>reduce what the content-scanning has to look at.
> >>

>how would I do that ?

anvil, postgrey, "advanced" IMGate.

> >>   what is your pflogsumm  rejection rate?
>  73% It used to be much higher

so something changed for the worse, so figure out why/when it went much
lower.

>smtpd_recipient_restrictions =
>  reject_unauth_pipelining,
>  reject_non_fqdn_sender,
>  reject_non_fqdn_recipient,
>  reject_unknown_recipient_domain,

.... just about here, you should have reject_unverified_recipient, or
reject_unlisted_recipient

hmm, no. for your volume, you MUST use reject_unlisted_recipient

>  hash:/etc/postfix/to_recipients_bad.map,

remove this when adding reject_unlisted_recipient

Len