Hi,

2010/9/16 Sander Deryckere <sander...@gmail.com>:
> Op 30 augustus 2010 20:24 schreef Sander Deryckere <sander...@gmail.com> het
> volgende:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> De Lijn, the Flemish public bus transport organization wants to donate
>> their data to OSM. But before they decide to do so, they want some
>> guarantees. They ask how fast the map will be actualized. Is it good they do
>> one big upload and keep the actualization of the map to volunteers? In that
>> case, are there statistics I can show to convince them the map will be
>> actual?

I'm afraid there's no other way than uploading the complete data once
and then leaving the updating to the volunteers (the organisation can
be a volunteer themselves too).  Possibly it would be better if there
was a technique in OSM for the map data to be kept up to date if there
is an authoritative source, but there isn't any, so really there isn't
much choice.  With regards to statistics, I don't have any positive
ones, I just know about my city where I mapped the tram routes once
and then made a script to keep them up to date.  But it's now three
months since my last script run, so it's actually a negative example.
Possibly if it's a city with tens or hundreds of contributors the
situation will be better.  But the baseline, I'm afraid, is that you
can't count on the map being current, except immediately after you
update it.

Of course it would be cool if they decide to use OSM but they should
know what it is and what osm isn't.

>> As a second thing, they ask who would be responsible for incorrect data. I
>> believe that the OSM licenses (both CC-BY-SA and ODBL) have some text that
>> says they give no warranty for correctness, am I correct on this?

Yes, the user of the data takes all responsibility.

>> I believe there is no point in tagging when what line passes, it's
>> changing to fast and it will produce horrible nodes or relationships. Am I
>> right about this?

That's what I think too.  There has been some talk about making an
external database, which would provide links, or even a machine
readable API to the online bus frequency information available on the
websites of the many bus operators around the world.  This could be
something that would map the value of the "network" tag to a URL of
some kind together with the schema description, or an API like the osm
API.  However these are just plans at the moment, as far as I know.

Cheers