> I'm afraid there's no other way than uploading the complete data once
> and then leaving the updating to the volunteers (the organisation can
> be a volunteer themselves too).  Possibly it would be better if there
> was a technique in OSM for the map data to be kept up to date if there
> is an authoritative source, but there isn't any, so really there isn't
> much choice.

This is a problem for a number of organisations however if they were
to host a copy of the OSM database and add in the stops themselves
they could get the performance and control they desired plus get the
richness of OSM including locally added data.

It might be worth exploring for a number of cities which perhaps would
mean some one packaging the documentation on how to do this.  Also
with the advent of locally rendering on the PC additionally hosting a
raw .osm file might make sense.  I've actually seen a couple of
American tourists look at an area in JOSM on a lap top to be able to
see the tags on POIs of interest.  Maperitive can be used with
different rule sets to display the map quite differently for those
with cycling interests, or shopping interests etc.

Cheerio John