Thanks for the replies, public and private. It turns out a colleague had bought me the Allison book a while back, but I hadn't dug into it; I found it shortly after sending the first note. I think the Schafer & Graham paper will probably satisfy the editor (she wants experts? we can give her experts!).

Pat