Dear All,
I have a  matured tree standing in my Garden. I will photograph these
leaves tomorrow and post.
any suggestions.
Regards.
satyendra

On 21 April 2012 19:25, Gurcharan Singh <singh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks a lot Pankaj ji
> I hope members would concentrate to solve puzzle of types based on glands
> in India. It would be real job because internet is full of inconsistent
> information.
>

> --
> Dr. Gurcharan Singh
> Retired  Associate Professor
> Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
> http://www.gurcharanfamily.com/
> http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/
>

> On Sat, Apr 21, 2012 at 7:19 PM, Pankaj Oudhia <pankajoud...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Superb Research Gurcharan ji. Thanks.
>>
>> The Traditional Healers of India divide Terminalia chebula fruits in over
>> 30 different types based on type of fruit including Abhya, Chetki etc.
>>
>> Similarly on the basis of fruit types Bahera i.e. Terminalia bellirica is
>> also having tens of types. These types are not mentioned in Taxonomic
>> literature, so far.
>>
>> regards
>>
>> Pankaj Oudhia
>>

>> On Sat, Apr 21, 2012 at 7:12 PM, Gurcharan Singh <singh...@gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>> Satish ji
>>> Your note above prompted me to check some literature, and first thing I
>>> discovered what you wrote. In Flora of China it is clearly written and
>>> illustrated that unlike other species whether glands are generally present
>>> at the tip of petiole (or say base of leaf blade) in T. bellirica the two
>>> glands are present at about the middle of petiole.
>>>
>>> http://www.efloras.org/object_page.aspx?object_id=94420&flora_id=2
>>>
>>> http://www.efloras.org/florataxon.aspx?flora_id=2&taxon_id=200014745
>>>
>>> Now coming to the presence of the species in India, The Flora of British
>>> India differentiates two varieties (rather three of which we ignore one
>>> right now).
>>>
>>> var: typica (syn: T. eglandulosa) No glands at the apex of petiole
>>> var. belerica, two glands at apex of the petiole beneath the leaf
>>>
>>> unfortunately no mention is made about the places of distribution of two
>>> varieties.
>>>
>>> Faced with this confusion I rushed to the Herbal Garden in Punjabi Bagh
>>> (6 km away) and a garden in our area whether this tree grows, and found
>>> that there is no trace of any glands any where on the petiole in our area.
>>>
>>> We should as such be looking at three variants (whether they have any
>>> taxonomic status or not be ignored)
>>>
>>> 1. The common Indian form with no glands at all
>>> 2. The form with two glands at the tip of petiole as mentioned in FBI
>>> 3. The form with two glands in the middle of petiole as mentioned in
>>> Flora of China. It would be interesting to know if this form grows in India
>>> also.
>>>
>>> I also read an old article from Transanctions of Linnaean Society Vol.
>>> 17, 1837, a commentary by Hamilton, in which two forms of Bahara (perhaps
>>> meaning Baheda) (T. bellirica) are recognised: Greater bahara or Bahara
>>> major with larger fruits and Smaller bahara or Bahara minor with smaller
>>> fruits, described from Duriapur and Domdoho, respectively (wonder what are
>>> these places).
>>>

>>> http://books.google.co.in/books?id=KBwhAQAAMAAJ&pg=PA159&lpg=PA159&dq=Glands+in+Terminalia+bellirica&source=bl&ots=NFhrgPXI1H&sig=BGIsCB4D-xBKR714AC75LG4cBIg&hl=en&sa=X&ei=1oyST-vCEI3irAeKoL3rBA&sqi=2&ved=0CEwQ6AEwBQ#v=onepage&q=Glands%20in%20Terminalia%20bellirica&f=false
>>>
>>> Perhaps some one can throw some more light on this important medicinal
>>> plant of India.
>>>

>>> --
>>> Dr. Gurcharan Singh
>>> Retired  Associate Professor
>>> SGTB Khalsa College, University of Delhi, Delhi-110007
>>> Res: 932 Anand Kunj, Vikas Puri, New Delhi-110018.
>>> Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
>>> http://www.gurcharanfamily.com/
>>> http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

> --
> Dr. Gurcharan Singh
> Retired  Associate Professor
> Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
> http://www.gurcharanfamily.com/
> http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

--
Satyendra K.Tiwari.
Wildlife Photographer, Naturalist, Tour Leader
H.NO <http://h.no/> 129, P.O.Tala, Distt Umariya.
M.P. India 484-661
Park Entry fee is constantly under revision since last one year. We take no
responsibility for any changes in park rules / fees. We will endaevour to
let you know as soon as we know of such changes.
To know more about Bandhavgarh visit following links.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/satyendraphotography
http://tigerdiaries.blogspot.com
http://skayscamp.wetpaint.com
SKAY'S CAMP is awarded QUALITY rating by Tour Operator For Tigers (TOFT).
http://www.toftigers.org/accommodation/Default.aspx?id=15
Review Skay's Camp on TripAdvisor
00-91-7627-265309 or 09425331209