Giby, gosh you are sitting on a gold mine for such informal citizen
scientist type papers and you could recruit your parents, relatives etc to
simply mark off  near a picture of things you want to document ... and
collect the picture/paper from them once a week...
or it could be slate board near kitchen or something where a chalk could be
hung, and they can mark off the sightings...

and record their verbal memory of what they used to see when they were
young, and how for a few years they disappeared and then you can use your
own scientific knowledge and do comparison between your farm and other
farms in your area that are still using the chemicals and compare the
vegetations in meter square plots... do it over a year or two...

take it from there...

also the kerala univ folks must have some grants funds available to do
research of this kind... they look very progressive from where I sit... but
the reality on the grounds may be different... though not impossible to
find out...

*SECONDLY "  she even knows medicines for cattle! "*   talk to her and get
her stories, record them on paper and may be even a recorder for that
matter..  that's your family heirloom ... best of the kind...   you may
later decide at your leisure to publish it...

usha di
===