On 4 Aug 2011, at 14:58, Galder Zamarreño wrote:

> On Aug 3, 2011, at 6:36 PM, Pete Muir wrote:
>
>> I have drafted this out at
>> https://docs.jboss.org/author/display/ISPN/Getting+Started+Guide.
>
> I'm having a read through it. I'm fixing some stuff and maybe adding links to
> other parts, such as archetypes.

Good point, we definitely need a section on the archetypes, I'll add a stub.

> More comments below...
>

>> We start with a couple of introductory chapters - a brief overview of what
>> Infinispan offers, instructions for how to download and install infinispan,
>> and instructions on the GUIDemo (as it helps people visualise whats going
>> on). We then move on to the bulk of the guide, in which I want to address
>> the most common reasons people want to try out Infinispan:
>>
>> * Infinispan as a standalone (local) cache. This also serves as the simplest
>> way to get started with Infinispan, hence it's position at the top of the
>> list!
>> * Infinispan as a data-grid, running from plain Java SE, in either
>> replicated or distributed mode
>> * Infinispan as the 2nd level cache for Hibernate
>> * Accessing Infinispan remotely
>>  * Using Hot Rod
>>  * Using REST
>>  * Using memcached
>> * Using Infinispan inside a JBoss AS 7 cluster
>> * Using Infinispan inside another server (e.g. Tomcat, GlassFish)
>>
>> and finally a common topic
>>
>> * Monitoring Infinispan
>>
>> In my experience this represents 95% of the reasons people want to look at
>> Infinispan, so we should hopefully get most people up and running with their
>> use case quickly with these tutorials.
>>
>> I've built up the tutorials for the first two cases (distributed mode is
>> missing) from the old tutorials to give you an idea of the style, level and
>> content that the other tutorials would contain. Each tutorial would be
>> acompanied by a quickstart (example, sample) that contains the code
>> discussed in the tutorial and is runnable. You can find snapshots of the
>> quickstarts zip at
>> https://hudson.qa.jboss.com/hudson/view/Infinispan/job/Infinispan-Quickstart/
>>  - this will appear on ci.jboss.org at some point under the job name
>> "Infinispan-Quickstart" but the publishing queue appears to be temporarily
>> broken ;-)
>>
>> Any comments, thoughts etc.? Are we missing a common use case? Is the
>> explanation too practical and doesn't explain concepts properly?
>>
>> Once we get this contents flushed out, I would like to get a few volunteers
>> to help with writing up the guides and quickstarts - someone for each topic.
>> I'll help out with editing etc. of course :-)
>>
>> A few notes:
>>
>> * I've moved the Scala and Groovy stuff out (to the user guide) as I just
>> don't believe this is really of great interest to the majority of people
>> thinking of using Infinispan
>> * I haven't migrated the monitoring Infinispan content from SBS, as I think
>> Galder was working on this?
>
> Again, this content is in another space that is not Infinispan :( - why do
> people keep moving wikis from one space to another? can't you link?
>
> Anyway, glad to move this content over. I like the idea of quickstarts but a
> monitoring one requires downloading RHQ, so that'd be a decent size bundle.

Ok. I guess we can add that as a separate download? i.e. download the quick
start + download RHQ?

> What's the timeline for having all this finished?

I'm still working with the EDG guys to establish the deadlines for including
content in EDG (which IMO is the a really important deadline ;-). I'll update
as soon as that is sorted out.