[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Kenneth Murchison writes:
> >
> >[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >>
> >> I'm using a recent CVS version of cyrus-imapd-2.0.16.  From a perl script,
> >> I do an APPEND with the \seen flag specified.  However, when I subsequently
> >> view the mailbox with `mutt', the newly-appended message appears as a new
> >> message.  Am I doing this wrong, or interpreting something wrong?  Here's
> >> a portion of the telemetry log of the session:
> >
> >It works for me (I appended a message manually and it showed up as read
> >in Netscape).  Have you tried doing a 'FETCH <msgno> FLAGS' after the
> >APPEND to see what it says?
>
> I wonder if the difference may be that the Cyrus administrator is doing
> the APPEND, after giving himself permissions on my INBOX?  Here's the
> APPEND from the telemetry log:
>
> <1000769918<5 append user.mills (\seen) {1190}<1000769918<
>
> When I subsequently view the mailbox with `mutt', my telemetry log
> shows:
>
> * 33 FETCH (FLAGS (\Recent) UID 83 INTERNALDATE "21-Sep-2001 01:22:33 -0500"
>RFC822.SIZE 1190 BODY[HEADER.FIELDS (DATE FROM SUBJECT TO CC MESSAGE-ID REFERENCES
>CONTENT-TYPE IN-REPLY-TO REPLY-TO LINES)] {314}
>
> Mutt only gets the `\Recent' flag, and marks the message as `N'.
> The next time I run `mutt', my telemetry log shows:
>
> * 33 FETCH (FLAGS () UID 83 INTERNALDATE "21-Sep-2001 01:22:33 -0500" RFC822.SIZE
>1190 BODY[HEADER.FIELDS (DATE FROM SUBJECT TO CC MESSAGE-ID REFERENCES CONTENT-TYPE
>IN-REPLY-TO REPLY-TO LINES)] {314}
>
> There are no flags, and `mutt' marks the message as `O'.  What I want
> is for only the `\Seen' to be returned so `mutt' will show it unmarked,
> which means a `read' message.  Why is the flag on the APPEND not working?
> How do I suppress the `\Recent' flag?

Just for the hell of it, try a different flag (either \Flagged or
\Deleted).  \Seen is treated differently from the other flags in that it
is cached for a while before getting written to the .seen file, so other
clients won't see it right away.  \Recent is OK, because for Mutt, the
message IS recent, regardless of whether is was seen or not.

Ken
Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127