Gary Mills writes:

>So that means that what I'm trying to do is impossible!  I have several
>thousand users with Unix mailboxes, and I'm trying to load them into
>Cyrus.  I don't know their passwords.  Last time I did this, on a
>smaller scale, I just redelivered all the mail.  This had the side
>effect that all the mail appeared as new and unread.  This time, I'd
>like to preserve the status of each message.  So, it can't be done?

Now that I understand the problem, I have several possible solutions
for initial loading of a Cyrus server.  The first one will probably
be the easiest one for me.

1) Temporarily run a modified version of saslauthd that authenticates
   all users with a known password, such as the administrator's password.
   The loading script would then be able to log in as each user before
   appending to that user's mailbox.

2) Provide a mechanism in Cyrus for the administrator to `su' to another
   user.  It could be controlled by a configuration option.  The loading
   script could log in once as the administrator and then impersonate
   each user as it appended to that user's mailbox.

3) Provide a mechanism in LMTP to associate flags with each message
   that is delivered to each user's maiblox.  The loading script would
   have to be an LMTP client.  This scheme has the advantage that no
   user authentication would be required.

The flags that I need to manipulate are \Seen and \Recent, but other
types of mailboxes will likely need additional flags.