Quoting Emiliano <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Devdas Bhagat wrote:
>
> > Hmmm, cyrus is supposed to be a black box solution. This means that
> > access should only be through the IMAP/POP/KPOP interface and not
> > directly over the filesystem.
> > What cyrus does internally should not be the concern of the
> > administrator/user.
> >
> > This is good from both the developer and administrator point of view,
> > and prevents hardcoded solutions from being put in place.
> > Even if the internal format changes for some reason, it should not
> > affect your application, and the IMAP interface provides a standard API.
> >
> > I don't think I need to specify why using a standard published API is
> > good.
>
> Agreed, but in this line of reasoning I'd love to see an API that
> doesn't require logging is (as you'd have to through IMAP/POP/KPOP). For
> migration, or ACL reporting, or whatever else you'd want to do as a
> priviliged user (like the way cyrdeliver works) without needing each
> users' password.

You don't need each user's password, just the admin's.  A couple of the SASL
mechs (PLAIN, OTP, others?) allow for proxying as another user.  That's what the
-a and -u options to cyradm and imtest are for.  Check out RFC2595 for details
on proxying via PLAIN.

Ken
Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127