On Mon, 9 Jan 2006 07:57, Rosenbaum, Larry M. wrote:
> | you'd have to be "root" (or whatever) to read the file with password,
> | too.
>
> That's a good point.  Our security gurus frown on putting passwords in
> files, but in this case it isn't as insecure as I originally thought.  I
> may consider it if I can't think of anything better.

On a related note..
I have a script which runs as root and reads a file owned by root out of the
cyrus config path to login to the server as an IMAP admin user. It then reads
Spam/Ham messages and runs sa-learn and bogofilter.

It would have been nice if root could login as the IMAP admin without having
to know the password but I don't know if it's possible. Unless the server is
contacted via a unix domain socket and credential passing is used I don't see
how either.

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum